My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Rusty works in the animation industry doing Storyboards, Timing, Animation and Directing. Recently he has worked at Disney TV Animation and Universal Animation Studios. He's best known for his Directing and Producing for Warner Bros. on "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain".

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Traditional Drawings

Wow! two posts in less than a week! Today I am presenting some drawings I did for work to be used as a template background. I was asked if I could provide some images that look like traditional animation drawings. I first did some roughs and then decided to even clean these two up complete with fake charts, paint to lines, and reg marks.

I tried to think of characters that might feel right in some older classic cartoons. It's funny how I started drawing a blank (pun intended) when trying to think up some of these characters. Kind of like when you go to the video store and suddenly all the movies you had been thinking you wanted to see slip right out of your head.
These are two of the ones I left rough. I love doing these kind of rough drawings, getting a nice attitude and line of action. In a way this is how I do my thumbnails when I am animating a scene. Besides just getting the acting down an animator has to create pleasing drawings. That's where being a good draftsperson comes in. I find it's best to just get something down on paper than to sit there wondering what the best way is to start.
As I've gained more experience I've found that it takes fewer tries to get the result I want. All animators have their own way of approaching their work, some are rougher than others while some artist see it completely in their head before they begin to draw. I tend to fit somewhere between the two. If I can't seem to get the right pose I begin from a rougher state but often once I am used to a character my drawings become cleaner because I can see it before I draw it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Richtoon said...

This was great!! I can't get enough of these posts on traditional or Mirage animation. Keep it up!!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Rusty Mills said...

Thanks, I enjoy it so I like to share it.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Its fun to see your artwork - it reminds me of Diane K's stuff from when she worked at WB for you. Your drawing style definitely rubbed off on her.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Village Talkies said...

Thanks for sharing
Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home