My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Rusty works in the animation industry doing Storyboards, Timing, Animation and Directing. Recently he has worked at Disney TV Animation and Universal Animation Studios. He's best known for his Directing and Producing for Warner Bros. on "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain".

Friday, June 16, 2006

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda

"Yeah, I got a film I wanna do about...", "Wish I had the time to make a film", "That'll be great when it's done...", "I'm jealous". I'm sure I've uttered these words just as people have to me since I started working on my film. People I've known or know that have completed their own film find the time and make the commitment. Sure, family and other interests take up a lot of my time but the battle really isn't finding the time but being willing to allow the time. What I mean by this is to not expect it to be done now. I work under deadlines and schedules all week long so why put that kind of pressure on myself. Many people may argue that without a schedule they'd never get done. Hey, if that's what it takes to get you to do the work you never really wanted to do the project in the first place. Oh you might want the elation of having a completed film but you didn't want to do the work. Now I'm not saying it's all easy to do. There are certainly times when I'm tired or decide to do something else but seeing various parts of the film get completed drives me to do more.
I have included here a few of the storyboards from my film. I created them using Mirage by Bauhaus Software. I am creating the majority of the film in Mirage. The first big milestone of my film was when I did one complete scene. I did this before the storyboard (I already knew the shot and had an old track from my student film). This scene gave me my production pipeline. It helped me figure out exactly how I was going to work and also that it would be possible on my Tablet PC. It also was a great boost because I could show it to people to get reactions. You can view the scene here:
Animation Sample

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen M. Levinson said...

Very nice storyboards, I cant wait to see how this turns out!

Steve
www.stephenstudios.com

9:18 PM  
Blogger Rusty Mills said...

Thank you. I was always told that each step of the process should inspire the next. Kind of strange when it's your own board work for your own animation. So in this case I look at it as refining, each step will refine the previous one.

10:06 AM  
Blogger antikewl said...

I've just stumbled on your blog through Eddie Fitzgerald's and had to stop and say good luck on your own film. The storyboards look fantastic.

Another inspirational blog to add to my list! :)

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home