My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Rusty works in the animation industry doing Storyboards, Timing, Animation and Directing. Recently he has worked at Disney TV Animation and Universal Animation Studios. He's best known for his Directing and Producing for Warner Bros. on "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain".

Friday, August 04, 2006

Direct Yourself

One of the most difficult things when animating your own film is being your own director. There is always a tendency to let the scene go as it is. It's amazing how easy it is to overlook the flaws when you don't feel like redoing any part of a scene. Of course I can also be pretty brutal to myself and over criticize the work. There has to be a happy medium, otherwise the project will drag on and I'll face the possibility of never getting it done.
I'm fortunate enough that I have been a director with a budget and a schedule. This has given me a nice balance between getting it done and making a quality film. So I switch hats and look at my scenes with that directors eye. What instructions would I give that animator? Simplify the action; Punch up the dialog to match the track; Stronger poses where needed; Slow down or speed up the action; Give a breather in the action; Eye direction; etc. These are all directions I might give to an animator so I look at my own animation in the same way. When I do it gets better and I feel like I'm getting the quality I want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home