My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Rusty works in the animation industry doing Storyboards, Timing, Animation and Directing. Recently he has worked at Disney TV Animation and Universal Animation Studios. He's best known for his Directing and Producing for Warner Bros. on "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain".

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Idea for another day

As I get ready for a vacation I always pack my sketchbook so I have a way to jot down ideas. Not to mention airports or train stations, even truck stops are great places to sketch people. On one such trip (though not a vacation) to Tokyo I spent my time planning out a film. I boarded the entire film in a scketchbook during the two 10 hour flights there and back. I will eventually do this film but at least I got the idea down. I find that sometimes it's best to just get the feeling of the film and actions though not nessesarily the complete comosition. So here you see not only some composition ideas for some scenes but just some sketches of the relationship between the man and his dog. The nice thing about working like this is it allows a more stream of conciousness way of getting the ideas down. Ideas can be arranged and changed at will. Once the ideas are down they can be brought into a program and arranged or altered as needed. I always liked the feeling I got in these drawings and will probably do the film somewhat in that style. I may have done this 7 or 8 years ago but the ideas are now down on paper and the drawings still feel fresh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Richtoon said...

Very inspirational words and images, Rusty. I cannot wait to see the finished movie...although the entire process is just as fun to witness. I am the type of person that loves to see rough animation reels more than the cleaned/colour-composited version.

Thanks for posting all of this.
Richtoon
http://richtoon.blogspot.com/

12:58 PM  
Blogger David said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Rusty !
I'll check back often.

David N

8:39 PM  
Blogger Rusty Mills said...

Hey thanks Dave, Good to see ya here.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home