My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

Rusty works in the animation industry doing Storyboards, Timing, Animation and Directing. Recently he has worked at Disney TV Animation and Universal Animation Studios. He's best known for his Directing and Producing for Warner Bros. on "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain".

Friday, July 14, 2006

The Technology Pillow

I get a lot of inquiries about what I'm using to do my film. Some of the questions are from people who are seeing me work on it. As I've stated before I work on the film while I ride the train to and from work. In order to do this I am using a TabletPC which allows me to draw directly on the screen and thus gives me greater control over my lines. I am using a tablet made by Motion Computing. I am doing all of the animation and color work using Mirage made by Bauhaus Software. I often get asked "how can you draw on the train with all the bumps?" Well it comes down to focus. Even with all the distractions I focus on my drawing. Sure there are times I have to undo or erase in order to correct a line but it's just not as difficult as people think. I do my editing using Premiere Pro 2.0 by Adobe right on the tablet. I am creating the film in 2K resolution which is another reason I can keep the lines steady. It does take some getting used to in order to go all digital but it's not that bad and if you give yourself time to get comfortable with the technology it will begin to feel more natural. Many people expect that the reason they don't pick up new software quickly is because they aren't smart enough. Generally it's that they won't take the time nor will they allow themselves to adjust their work habits. Even in the digital world each person will work differently. It's finding that comfortable way to work inside the digital realm that you have to achieve before you begin to see results you like. So work with it until it feels right...just like you do when you buy a new pillow. It's always the pillows that have been used and kneaded a bit that feel the most comfortable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaime J. Weinman said...

Hi, Rusty -- Thanks very much for the comment on my blog.

I agree that it's a real shame that the artists haven't been contacted for any of the DVDs so far (though there are still two volumes to go before they complete the series; I wonder who one would lobby to get a "art of Animaniacs" featurette on vol. 3 or 4?). The show wouldn't have been what it was without the artists -- there were all kinds of cartoons in the wake of Tiny Toons/Animaniacs that tried to do a similar kind of comedy, but looked ugly and had no sense of gag timing. (Including, though it may be horrible of me to say this, "Histeria.") I remember seeing the first Pinky and the Brain cartoon and just being taken by how good it looked -- the lab was like a third character.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Rusty Mills said...

It shows what can be done if a creative team of people are left to do as they will and that the money is there to support the quality of that caliber. I have provide materials to be included on the extras but not sure if they used any of it. I offered to do a story reel of an episode that was never made using the original storyboards but Warners was scared because it was about President Bush Sr. even though it wasn't anythng bad.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home